collapse
N

Depression/Mental Health

Started by Nathan, April 24, 2018, 03:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan

Just writing this on forum coz many people still find this subject a Taboo or are scared to talk about

Every person on earth will experience depression at some point in their life, its often called the invisible disease, mainly because you cant see if a person is suffering with it especially if they are silent about how they are feeling. Depression or any kind of mental health can take form in any environment, you could have 200 people around you but still feel lonely and isolated, feeling like you are losing control of your life, thinking things about people which aren't there or even reacting to something that you would never really react to, which is why i started this thread.

It would be nice to see how other people cope and deal with Depression/mental health, as i  say whats good for you may also be good for others. in other words your coping skills could lend a helping hand to others who are suffering

Devilish

You are right on what you speak about....i work with mental health as i am a psw in a long term nursing home and the ages range from 20 and up....yes we get young people in there sometimes....you could be walking thru where i work and think some are just visiting a loved one when they really are residents living in the home....i work with alzeihmers...dimentia...schizophreniacs...bipolar...depressed residents.....there is so many different mental illnesses out there....and alot of them arent noticible untill u work one on one with them or u know the signs of the illnesses.... what nathan said it is the invisible disease nobody knows what some people are going thru... and its not always the weak ....a strong person can be depressed inside but feel embarrassed to show it on the outside....signs to watch for is fidgeting....alot fidget when feeling down...they move their hands alot....or there facial expressions tell alot.....or they withdraw from conversations and look distracted....or they stare into spacelike.....alot attention seek cause they want to feel not alone and draw the attention to them....some ramble on about anything and everything just to feel included.....or they dont act like the way you know them which makes u ask are u okay...okay just checking on you...but if they say im fine....dont assume they are fine .... give them a hug or tell them ....i know ur not okay u dont seem yourself which shows them u have noticed them and it boosts them cause they know then they arent alone or invisible to you.
So my suggestion is always check on your friends or if u notice someone alone say hello .....just saying hello and asking how are you does help :) .....
I Can be your fave dream, or I can be your worst Nightmare :P

Desolator

I am bit confused, are we talking about conditions that are brought on by one self or by failure of evolution by the body?

ex,  Alzheimer's, dementia, hydradenitisis suppertiva, schizophrenics & autism etc are all failure of evolution from the body, anything else is generally brought on by the person themselves.

Nathan

well both, life events, medical issues, or as you say evolution

DakotaWolf13

I normally, for self-care I have a coffee in the morning, curl up, watch Netflix, draw, eat some junk food, go for a walk, write in my journal, snuggle my dog, talk with a friend or my partner, take a hot shower or bath, listen to music.... those are just the things I can think of right now that I do for self-care. feel free to shoot me a message if you need to chat/ Vent.

TNTease

Most of the time, I find that getting outside seems to be the most beneficial.  Talking a walk or sitting outside.  Something about nature is just calming and re-centering, I think.  Having a friend/partner/buddy to lean on helps too, but not all of us are lucky enough to have that someone who is available just anytime.  Talk to your dr. Take your medication if prescribed, but look for ways to lift your own spirits naturally as well.  A hobby you can get lost in, or take your mind off things with.

The nature thing is something I have read that a lot of people incorporate to deal with various types of depression, whether it's a once-in-a-while thing or an on-going issue.  Some people deliberately make taking a walk a regular daily part of their routine and they claim it has helped them a lot, whether it's just a walk around the block, or a daily or weekly walk up the road to a friend's house for coffee or tea.  Being outside, and incorporating the physical exertion of walking (or running) seems to be a big help.

Croissant

I wish more people would comment on the most important topic of mental health as there are so many misconceptions floating in the ether of Internet. I worked as a professional with kids and adults, both as an adviser and as a teacher for more than 40 years. Where children are concerned, the saddest part is the parents who ignore, abuse, and traumatize them during the crucial years. If anybody has comments or questions, please use this space to initiate a fruitful conversation.

TNTease

My depression issues are mild, I think.  For a time I did take some prescribed medication, but I have since weaned off of the prescription stuff, and I currently try to focus mostly on more "natural" ways to deal with it.  I try to take my vitamins regularly, along with some other supplements, and I do occasionally take St. John's Wort - an herb that my doctor recommended - when I have have several days of on-going depression issues, and it seems to help most of the time.  And as I have previously mentioned, getting out into nature and out in the "real world" helps, as does being with friends, or even just with other people.

I do however, have children who deal with depression.  I have one son who has been dealing with some major depression issues over the past few years.  I do find it difficult to relate to his situation sometimes, and it requires a lot of patience and listening.  He is on prescription medication and attends regular group therapy sessions.  A recent change of medication seems to be a promising improvement.  My advice when dealing with depression in children is to keep talking to them, get them medical consultation, and keep in touch with their medical caregivers.

Croissant

"There is some strong scientific evidence that it is effective for mild to moderate depression." WebMd

St. John's Wort seems to work to improve the mood of lightly depressed individuals, but I sincerely congratulate you for trying to stop all kinds of medication. Not an easy task. Approved drugs given by psychiatrists are palliative remedies which do not address the underlying cause. They should only be prescribed for severe depressions which untreated may lead to suicide.
I have had my moments of 'funk' as I call them but luckily I always had the support of my best friend and wife to fight the mental letdowns.
Even St. John's wort is dangerous at high doses. Watching a funny movie may work just as well or simply asking a close friend for help.

Important Links

Our Network Team

IRCops:                   

HB - ChanOps Training Admin
MaTriX - Radio & DJ's Admin
TNTease - ICQ-Chat Co-Owner
Yusif  - ICQ-Chat Owner

BotOps:

Jake
Nathan

ChanOps:

Devilish
inca
SaSSyGiRL

Radio DJs:

nayfee - Radio Lead
Quirky
Chilly

Wanna get to know more about our Network Team including pictures?
Take a look here!

You are banned or need other Assisstance? Click on the Support Button.

In Memoriam

> MarkAus61
> SatmanUK
> Gandalf
> DeJaVOoo
> Blinx
> Aussie_Lady
> Maxim
> Frenchie
> Kaytee
> Manati