collapse

Recipes..because sometimes people ask

Started by TNTease, January 21, 2017, 03:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNTeaseTopic starter

Ok this is a recipe for Cajun Gumbo - a kind of spicy stew

This recipe makes about 8 servings, so there may be enough to save for later, depending on how many people you're feeding.

This one is for Chris.

8 chicken thighs (or whatever parts you want - enough for 8 servings)
1 1/2 pounds of sausage (any kind of meat sausage, though smoked is better)
1 cup vegetable oil or the equivalent in butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
salt, cayenne (hot) pepper,
green onion, chopped
some parsley, chopped

Brown the chicken in a Dutch Oven or large pot, remove from the pot and set aside to cool.
With the pot at about medium-low heat, whisk the oil or butter and flour into the drippings and continue to whisk or stir with a fork until the mixture browns to the color of chocolate syrup, then quickly add onions, bell pepper and celery and cook till onions begin to turn transparent/clear.
Add enough water to fill the pot about half-way, and let simmer while removing chicken from bones, if needed. (Simmer the liquid about 15-20 mins.)
Add chicken and sausage to the pot and add water to cover the meat if needed.
Add minced garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
Let simmer for about an hour.
With a large spoon, skim any fat off the top.
Serve in a bowl, over hot cooked rice and sprinkle green onions and parsley.

Enjoy!

Cayenne Pepper - a spicy hot red pepper in powdered form
whisk - to stir briskly in a manner that usually brings air into the mixture --- often done with a tool called a whisk, that is wires formed in a sort of cage, with a handle. google for pictures, lol
minced - finely chopped
all-purpose flour - sometimes called occident flour - a fine-textured flour.  (Germany's Flour Type 550 is equivalent to all-purpose flour.)

PS: Due to the flour in this dish, it is NOT Low-Carb, however you can try other ingredients to "thicken" it with - perhaps some almond flour, or just use a little whole milk.  Please do not use corn starch if you're aiming for Low-Carb.

Chris

Thankies! Will let someone know to cook it for me hehheehhe

Crazy_Cowboy

"NORTH CAROLINA STYLE PIG PICKIN"

First of all there are thousands of ways to do this. In the Carolinas this is the most popular way. Depending on where your'e from and your personal taste the sauce ingredients may be varied to suit your preference. Many like the thin sauce (which i prefer)..Most people in the western states prefer a thicker,richer sauce which is fine...either way it is delicious!

Ingredients and things needed:
1. A large cooker (these are usually built with regular car wheels and tires for moving it from place to place like a small trailer..i once pulled mine 150 miles to cook for a wedding party). They can be bought at various grilling outlets and even special ordered to suit you. I had mine custom made by an old timey blacksmith shop in a guys backyard.

2. Charcoal and oak wood. (now many agree and disagree on this...many prefer a LP gas cookers but you get a better smoked flavor using wood and charcoal) You will need approx. 50 lbs. of charcoal and about five pieces of split oak wood cut into charcoal briquet sizes. (bout' the size of a golf ball).

3. A pig. (lol)...Now the size varies from pig to pig. I generally use a 60-70 lb one. That will feed bout 50 people. Buy the size pig to accomodate the size of your crowd.The pig needs to be prepared by a butcher to be dressed,cleaned and cut in half the long way (from head to tail) so it will "fold" out flat on the grill. A quality butcher shop can order the size pig you need. Remember NOT to cut the pig in two pieces....it needs to fold out kinda like a book.

4. How to cook:
You need to pre-salt your pig a few hours before cooking.( Use about a cup or so of salt and sprinkle on MEAT side...not skin side)Place about 20lbs charcoal and @20 wood chips..light the fire and let all the coal and wood turn grey.YOU WANT TO COOK ON MEDIUM HEAT to avoid burning your pig. Now place on the grid MEAT SIDE DOWN!!!!! Close lid on cooker. keep a sharp eye...ya cant take your eyes off it for a minute cause the coals may get too hot or not hot enough...keep the heat constant  by adding more coals and rake out evenly under pig. The coals should be about 2 feet  or so under the grid. Again...BE CAREFUL NOT TO COOK TOO FAST!!!!!!
When the "coals" are ready place the pig SKIN SIDE UP on the grid.Cook that side about 3 hours then flip the pig over to brown the skin nice and crispy (takes two people to flip it...dont do it alone!!!)....this should take about two more hours. When you "flip" the pig begin adding the sauce. Use sauce generously! (I even use a large meat injector). Close lid.

SAUCE INGREDIENTS AND PREPARATION:
1. One gallon regular vinegar
2. One cup salt
3. One cup black pepper
4. One cup CRUSHED red pepper flakes
5. Half small bottle hot sauce ( i like texas pete)
6. One cup Jack Daniels Whiskey (black label)
7. drink whats left of whiskey
8. bring all ingredients to a boil (just enough to melt the salt)
9. pour back in gallon jug and bottle whats left over...it keeps forever without refridgeration.
10. let cool..i usually make it the day before and let mine "sit" overnight
11. use as much sauce on your pig as ya want...i use a lot! Bout half gallon at least.

A bit more info:

When yer pig is cooked there are several ways of serving it. I do both. You can chop it up fine or course as ya like and put in a separate container OR ya can just "pick" right from the grill (my preference) :)
I usually serve homemade slaw and potato salad and cornbread as condiments.

This is the basic way to this recipe...the more ya do it the better you'll get at it!

ENJOY!!!!

Crazy_Cowboy

Never squat with your spurs on!

TNTeaseTopic starter

"Greek Chicken"

This is the kind of thing best to prepare in the morning and cook for dinner in the evening.

1 bottle of Greek (or Italian) salad dressing
1 or 2 packages of chicken breasts, chicken thighs or chicken pieces (I prefer skinless, boneless breasts or thighs, but most any will work), thawed
1 gallon-sized zip-lock type or seal-able bag

Put the chicken in the bag, pour in the bottle of salad dressing, and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as you can.
Squish the bag and chicken around a bit to coat the chicken as much as possible, then place the bag of chicken in a pan or dish and into the refrigerator.
If you are home all day, every few hours or so, go turn the bag over and move the chicken around a bit, to be sure the liquid coats it well all over.
If you are going to be away all day, just make sure you get the chicken coated well before you leave, and then squish it around good when you get home, before you take it out to cook.
This works very well for grilling outside, but it will also work in the oven broiler pan, or even in a baking pan, especially if you have a rack you can raise it up off the bottom of the baking pan a bit.
Really, you can cook it any way you like but it's best grilled or broiled.  The vinegar in the dressing tenderizes the meat a bit and the marinade helps to keep the chicken moist even if you grill it.
Cook until just done (juices run clear, center is not pink). Serve with any veggies you like.

PS: This main dish is Low-Carb/Keto-Friendly!

TNTeaseTopic starter

Hamburger Casserole

We usually use hamburger meat in this dish but you can really use pretty much any kind of meat.  I'm not sure I would use seafood, but any kind of white or red meat should work. It's great if you have a lot of people to feed.

1 large or 2 regular-sized packages of noodles (we usually use elbow noodles, or wide egg noodles)
2 to 3 cans of cream of chicken soup (1 large can = about 2 regular-sized cans). 
1 to 2 cans of Roi-tel tomatoes with green chilies (1 can per every 2 cans of soup, for a little mild spiciness )
about 2 pounds of ground hamburger (or whatever meat you use)
Large pot to cook it all in.

I put the water on to boil for the noodles, then start cooking up the meat. You can season up the meat however you like.  When I make it, I usually use a pre-made Greek Seasoning (salt and lots of herbs and spices). Sometimes I add onions and garlic.  Sometimes we make it with salt and pepper and lots of onions and bell peppers.  Drain the cooked meat if very greasy.
When the noodles are done, drain them, then add the cooked meat, and the soup and Roi-tel tomatoes. (I usually blend the Roi-tel tomatoes and the soup but you don't have to).
We usually add Worcestershire Sauce and a little Soy Sauce to ours.  Sometimes we also add a jar of diced pimentos. You could add peas or just about anything you like.
Mix well.  Let it cook on low heat, stirring frequently for a few minutes to mix the flavors together.  Then Serve!  For a family of 6, you can probably get at least two meals out of this, maybe more.

PS: Due to the noodles in this dish, prepared this way it is NOT Low-Carb.  However you can substitute zucchini noodles or roasted bell pepper slices in place of the noodles and drop the carbs in it significantly.

Crazy_Cowboy

PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS  ;D

Some of you may be aware of this little trick....those that don't know it will LOVE it   ;)

1. Fill pot with water and add about 1/4 cup of salt....add eggs...bring to a boil (some like em' soft boiled or some like em' hard boiled...it's up to you..i prefer em' soft)  :D

2. When eggs are cooked to your preference drain the hot water and let eggs cool to room temperature.

3. Put the eggs in a bowl of ice water (yes...use ice cubes...Lol). Leave the eggs in the ice water for about 
    10-15 minutes.

4. Drain water and peel....you will be surprised how easy the shells just "fall" off!   8)

ENJOY!!!!!

Crazy_Cowboy

FISH (or seafood) STEW

INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
1. fish fillets (boneless) many as ya want! you can use shrimp,oysters,scallops, or any combo ya like  :)
2. fatty bacon for seasoning
3. tomato juice (2 large cans 850 ml size)
4. tomato paste..small can
5. potatoes (any kind)
6. onions (i use about 2-3 med size)
7. dozen eggs
8. salt and pepper (to taste)
9. hot sauce ( i like tabasco)
10. parsley (a few pinches to make it "pretty"..lol)
11. chopped celery (optional)
12. 2 bay leaves (optional)
13. one carton fish stock ...any grocery store has it

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: (FOLLOW CAREFULLY!)
1. in a LARGE stock pot or dutch oven slowly cook bacon...when done take bacon out and set aside leaving 
    the bacon grease in pot for seasoning (3-4 bacon slices will be enough)
2. add chopped potatoes and onions ( cut to the size you like) and cook till onions are translucent.
3. add BOTH cans of tomato juice, tomato paste and fish stock.
4. add bay leaves, parsley,and chopped celery (again...this is optional...sometimes i do or don't)
5. let SLOW simmer 15-20 mins (i usually have to add some water as it "cooks down")
6. when the "texture" suits you add salt, pepper and hot sauce...(taste as you add this to suit you..i like
    mine on the hot side...lol)
7. now its time to add the fish or whatever ...i cut my fillets in about 2-3 inch squares but that's up to you.
8. after about 5 mins u r ready to add the eggs...here's how
9. carefully break eggs in a large bowl as to NOT break the yolks...if ya break a yolk put the damn thing in anyway!...SLOWLY pour in ONE egg at a time around the stew.
10. SLOW SIMMER for about 1 hour.

IMPORTANT TIPS!...FOLLOW CAREFULLY!

1. it's best to use a NON-STICK large pot.
2. NEVER NEVER NEVER "STIR" the stew..it will break the fish to pieces!..however..it's ok to "move" it
    around very gently
3. BE PATIENT..this is NOT a "rush home cook dinner for supper fast thing".
4. NEVER bring to a full boil at anytime...SIMMER is the key...to fast and it WILL scorch...i promise!
5. remember you don't have to use fish...shrimp (prawns)..oysters, etc. (or a combo of all)
6. make SURE you "taste test" the stew all along the cooking process to suit your taste

NOTE: This is a southern Carolina recipe my grand-dad taught me many years ago. It's only a basic Fish Stew. You can play with it and "adjust" it any way you like. I've seen it prepared hundreds of different ways!

ohhh...almost forgot...the bacon that was set aside can be crushed up and added to the stew...i do that!

P.S. total prep and cooking time is approx. 2-3 hours

Hope Ya Enjoy!

Compliments of "the crazy one"   8)

Jake

SLICED ROASTED POTATOES (AKA - CRISPS)

1. Go to Tescos with £2
2. Purchase a multi pack of Walkers Crisps
3. Pay at check out (or hide under jacket and walk out of store)
4. Place bag next to PC
5. Open bag and ensure you have a suitable accompaniment before eating, like Becks German beer or glass of red wine
6. Commence to eat crisps whilst annoying fellow chatters on Skype (Matrix does this as I am led to understand)
7. Eat another packet straight after to build up unwanted calories
8. Go to gym at 6.30am next morning to remove all the said calories
9. Resort to point 1 again

ENJOY!

Jake
I am so lucky to have fantastic parents who have helped me be the person I am today

Devilish

I Can be your fave dream, or I can be your worst Nightmare :P

Phaedrus

Not sure how much space I have, but you can find the full version of my Scotch Broth recipe here:

https://www.docdroid.net/XmRjtUi/scotch-broth.docx

TNTeaseTopic starter

Homemade Tomato Soup

This may be the best tomato soup I have ever had. Possibly because it is homemade.  Takes some time to make, but you can make a big pot of it and it freezes just fine.

You will need a bunch of fresh tomatoes.  The recipe I use calls for like 2 kilos, which is apparently almost 4.5 lbs.  You want as fresh as you can get them, preferable with the stems on.  I like to use a mix, so some Roma tomatoes, and heirloom, whatever you can get hold of.  "paste" tomatoes are good (the kind used for making tomato paste), because the more "meat" and less "juice" the better.

You also need some Thyme and Basil. Fresh is best, but dried will do.
Fresh Garlic, in the whole bulbs are best, but just the cloves if you don't have whole bulbs.  If you have to use pre-minced garlic, hold it back for the cooking pot.
1.7L or a little over 1.5 quarts of vegetable stock or chicken stock (I prefer to use chicken stock).
Salt & Pepper, Olive Oil or some other cooking oil.
If you have an immersion blender, it's great for this, but a regular blender will do, you will just have to blend in batches.

Save the tomato stems and halve the tomatoes and put them in a roasting pan (I use two roasting pans).  Cut the tops off the whole garlic bulbs and put those in the pan as well, along with any bits of garlic cloves from cutting them.  Lay the tomato stems and spriggs of Thyme on top of it all and drizzle it all with olive oil, avocado oil or whatever you have.
Salt & Pepper it all and put it in the oven to roast for 25-30 mins at 220C or 425F.

The tomatoes will get juicy, the garlic will get brownish and it will all be a bit mushy.  Remove the tomato stems and the Thyme. I like to strip the tiny leaves from the Thyme stems and include them in the cooking pot.  Remove the garlic and set it aside, then pour all the tomatoes and juices into a big cooking pot or stew pot.  The garlic should be soft enough you can just squeeze the cloves from the peelings, though some may take a bit more work to remove. Add the whole garlic cloves to the cooking pot. Add your vegetable or chicken stock, and bring the whole thing to a boil, then turn down and simmer for about 25 minutes.

Now you can remove the pot from the heat, add a bunch of fresh Basil (a tablespoon or so of dried Basil) and use your immersion blender to thoroughly blend everything in the pot.  If you don't have one of these gadgets, you can spoon the soup into a blender in batches, but be careful blending hot soup.

Give it a taste and see if you need more salt or pepper.  Then simmer for another 25 minutes.

Sometimes the type of tomatoes you use can give you a bit of a tart or tangy taste, and if you don't want it that tangy, I will sometimes add half a cup or so of beef broth for a bit of a richer flavor.

If you don't like the bits of tomato peel or seeds, you can strain the soup. I have a wire strainer, or colander, and I just pour the soup through with a ladle, and squeeze the juice through it with the back of the spoon till I have most of the solid bits out. Some people like them in, some don't.

Now your soup is done and ready to serve!  You can add a bit of sour cream or a bit of cheese to your soup when you serve it, for a creamier taste, garnish with some fresh Basil and fresh Pepper.  We often like to server it with bratwurst or sausage or add a bit of italian sausage to it.

Enjoy!

Oh and if you make a big pot and want to freeze some for later, I just put it into a gallon-sized ziplock freezer bag, and lay it in a pan in the freezer till it's frozen, then you can take the pan out and store the frozen soup flat in the freezer.  Just heat it up when you want it.

PSST! This is Keto-Friendly and Low-Carb-Friendly if you're doing either one of those programs!

ShimaFromPersia

kookoo (one of the many versions!)

for 2
easy

ingredients:

4 potatoes (medium size)
    1 onion (medium)
    1 egg
    2 cloves of garlic
    salt, black pepper, turmeric (to your own taste!... as much as desired)
    oil

1- peel potatoes and wash them
2- grate potatoes
3- peel the onion
4- grate the onion
5- drain the excess liquid from the grated onion
6- peel the garlic and grate
7- mix all the ingredients
8- put a pan on the stove with enough oil in it!
9- using a spoon, put small pieces of the mix in the pan to get fried on one side
10- fry the other side
11- place them in a plate
12- go to step 9 and repeat until you're done!

eat and enjoy!
Follow Your Dreams!

LisTay73

Cream Broccoli Soup

Ingredients :
* 1 bunch of Broccoli🥦
* 3 cloves Garlic🧄
* 1/2 Chopped Onion OR 3 pcs shallot🧅
* Celery
* Evaporated milk or Cooking Cream
* Salt
* Pepper
* Broth ( Oxo, Maggie, Knorr)

Steps:
1. Boil Broccoli , onion , garlic and celery til soft/cooked.
2. Blend above boiled vegetables until smooth.
3. Pour it in the pan together with Evaporated milk, salt, pepper, broth, bring it to boil .. taste it according to your own tongue🤪
4. You can add extra black pepper for garnish.

Enjoy it!
PS: The above recipe also work for 👇

* Pumpkin Soup
* Carrot soup.🥕
* Sweet Potato Soup🍠
* Tomato Soup ( make sure you peeled the tomato skin) 🍅

Happy Cooking!
-Lis- 
*Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don't expect it from cheap people*

LisTay73

Fresh Salsa sauce or Nachos /Tortilla Dipping sauce!

Ingredients for small portion ( dont forget to wash it all first tho 😆)
* 2 tomatoes chop it to small pieces (1/2cm cube)
* 1 onion ( same size as tomato) chop it at same size tomato
* 2 stems of Cilantro/Coriander leaves , chop it to fine pieces
* 1 tbsp Olive oil
* juice of half lemon.
* 5 tbspoon of ketchup ( tomato sauce
* 2 tbspoon of chilli sauce

The quantity of ketchup is depend if you want to make it creamy or dry dip. And the sourness is personal taste, I like it hot sweet and sour. Which mean i put more ketchup, chili sauce and more lemon. 
Leave it in fridge couple of hours before serves it.

Happy Nibbling!

LisTay73

•APPLE CRUMBLE•

Can be done with or without the pie crust for the base.
Preheat oven at 190C, you can do 200C if you making bigger portion

Ingredients for filling:
* 3 Apples , peel and slice
* 1/2 cup or sugar ( can be mixed with brown sugar too)
* 3/4 spoon Cinnamon Powder
* 1/4 cup of Flour
Mix all above ingredients. And place it in the baking bowl ( if you cook it without pie crust) - ppsstt i hate kneading LOL

Ingredients for topping/ Crumble:
* 3/4 cup of flour
* 1/3 cup of sugar
* 6 table spoon of unsalted butter.
* Mix it with your hands until it crumble.
Place the topping on top of apple mix, spread it equally.

Bake it for 40 minutes until it golden brown.

Serves with scopes of Ice Cream!
Hmm Yummy *drooling*

-Lis-

Important Links

Our Network Team

IRCops:                   

HB - ChanOps Training Admin
MaTriX - Radio & DJ's Admin
TNTease - ICQ-Chat Co-Owner
Yusif  - ICQ-Chat Owner

BotOps:

Jake
Nathan

ChanOps:

Devilish
inca
SaSSyGiRL

Radio DJs:

nayfee - Radio Lead
Quirky
Chilly

Wanna get to know more about our Network Team including pictures?
Take a look here!

You are banned or need other Assisstance? Click on the Support Button.

In Memoriam

> MarkAus61
> SatmanUK
> Gandalf
> DeJaVOoo
> Blinx
> Aussie_Lady
> Maxim
> Frenchie
> Kaytee
> Manati