collapse

KETO DIET ---- WTH is this "Keto" thing I keep talking about?

Started by TNTease, June 19, 2018, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNTeaseTopic starter

I've mentioned a fair bit lately that I am doing "The Keto Diet".  Some other folks in chat are doing it too, or some version of  a "low carb" diet.  Lots of people ask what it's about, and I've been saying I would post something on the message forums to explain it.  Well here it is.

The Keto Diet - a VERY simplified explanation

The Keto Diet, called that because the goal is to keep your body in ketosis - a state where the body basically burns primarily stored fat for energy rather than converting food into more stored fat - is a low-carb, high fats, moderate protiens dietary plan.

(for those wanting a bit more detail, I'll do that in another post)

There are sort of two parts to "The Keto Diet".  There is the dietary plan itself, and then there is the practice of fasting (not eating). 

Fasting -
There are many different ways to incorporate fasting into the diet plan.  (Do you realize that you generally fast every day - or rather, every night?  You go all night without eating, then you have breakfast ---Break Fast, or a meal to break your fast!) Some people only do a "normal" fast, where they do not eat between the last meal of the day and the first meal of the next day.  Many people who follow the Keto Diet, however, do some longer form of fasting. This can vary anywhere from only eating 1 or 2 meals a day, or only eating between certain hours of the day, to much longer fasts, going a week, 2 weeks, or even longer without eating, and consuming only water, or only water and sugar-free drinks (such as unsweetened coffee and tea).  There are even some other versions where people do "egg fasts" (they only eat eggs!) or other single-food kinds of fasts.

When starting out on Keto, if your primary goal is weight loss, or you want to get your body into a state of ketosis fast, Doing a week-long (or longer) fast is a good way to "jump start" things.

Keto Diet - The Food! -
I find it easier to start with what NOT to eat, then go to what you SHOULD eat.  So if you like it the other way around, well switch the order that you read this info in, lol!

What NOT to eat -
on the Keto Diet, sugar is BAD, carbs are MOSTLY BAD, starches = carbs, so they're BAD. Fruit has sugars so most fruits are BAD. So, the NO's are No Pasta, No Rice, No wheat flour (which means NO Breads as you are used to it, and No Breaded Fried Foods as you are probably used to them.  Also, most Root vegetables are No. Beans are No (except for green beans). And many of the foods we have always been taught are "healthy" have way more carbs and sugars than you would think if you haven't read up on the nutritional info on them.  Just because you pick it right from the garden, doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy in this new Keto Diet Plan.

Also, Protien is something you don't want to get too much of.  Usually up to about 20% of your meal comes from protiens on this plan.  If you are the type of person to exercise a lot, you can increase that a little, but if you're that type of person, you are probably also the type of person to pay more than average attention to nutritional info in the foods you eat.

What TO Eat! -
Pretty much any kind of leafy green vegetables are a Yes.  Also cruciferous veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower are Yes.  Zucchini, eggplant, cucumber, celery, radish, asparagus are all Good. Look for veggies that grow Above Ground.
Cheese is Good.  High fat dairy items such as cream and butter are Good. Nuts are ok in moderation (macadamias, walnuts, almonds), also some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin). Avocados and some berries are Good in moderation (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and other low-glycemic impact berries). Tomatoes are ok in moderation. Olives are Good.

FATS are YES, but pay attention to where your fats come from.  Dump the vegetable oil, peanut oil and margarine, ease up a bit on the olive oil, and start using grass-fed butter (Kerry Gold is most often recommended), avocado oil and coconut oil.  Some people claim they don't like using coconut oil much cause they can taste the coconut but I have not found this to be an issue.  I can smell the hint of coconut, but I don't taste it, and I try to use whichever of the oils I feel will best suit whatever I am cooking.  Avocado oil doesn't seem to have any taste to me, and I use it most often.  Also feel free to use bacon fat, and oil/grease/tallow from fatty meats.  You can also use regular lard, and ghee (clarified butter basically).

Some very strict Keto Dieters will tell you that everything has to be as pure and natural as you can get it, including that you should use only grass-fed beef and butter from such.  But grass-fed beef can get pretty expensive.  My rule of thumb is basically buy what meats you can afford, just don't worry about it having to be really lean, cause you WANT the fat in it!

Almost any kind of meat, as long as it doesn't have anything added to it, is zero carbs.  So go ahead and enjoy some beef or sausage (watch for fillers!), lunchmeats, BACON (!), ham, proscuitto, pepperoni, lamb, pork, veal, venison, etc.  And most fish and seafood are good sources of protien, and of course Omega-3's.

Coconut milk is good, as is most anything that is from the coconut.  If you miss your milk, try UNsweetened Almond Milk (with or without the vanilla).  Whole milk is often suggested as acceptable in small amounts. You can leave out the skim milk and 1 & 2% stuff. You want the fat in it.

It is often actually the fact you are eating more fat on this diet that makes it easier than many other diets.  After all, if you think about it, the FAT is often where most of the FLAVOR of food comes from.  It traps and holds the seasonings, it makes the meat or veggies moist and carries the flavor throughout the food. So when you allow yourself to enjoy it, most people find they are more easily satisfied.

This kind of low-carb, high-fat diet also has other health benefits as well, and it's worth doing some internet research to learn more about the details and benefits.

Why/How do I do it? -

In my experience, the Keto Diet is about the easiest diet to stay on.  I am not a 'serial dieter' like some folks.  I have not tried a zillion different diets.  I have tried a few over the years.  I've done Weight Watchers, the Cabbage Diet, just simply trying to keep up with calories, dropping the fats and sugars, and a couple of diets where you eat little and exercise a LOT. 

I am not an exercise junkie. I don't like to run and jump around.  I don't like getting sweaty  most of the time.  I hate counting carbs (or counting anything, or keeping a diet diary, or looking up every bite I take!).

I also like food. I like the taste of my favorite foods.  I would sometimes find myself eating more than I really needed of something simply because I enjoyed the taste of it.  Naughty me.

Frankly, I'm doing it to lose weight.  I simply just didn't like where I was, so I finally pushed myself to check this keto thing out and give it a try.

Aside from the fasting part, which to be honest, is a lot easier than most people think, the most difficult part of 'doing keto' is just simply changing my habits.  If you're not hungry, DON'T EAT.  When you do eat, STOP WHEN YOU'RE NO LONGER HUNGRY.  And how many times have you heard that line "Breakfast is the most important part of the day!" - Bull malarky.  If you're not a breakfast-eating type person, then don't eat breakfast.  If you'd rather have breakfast but find you're not all that hungry for lunch, or supper, if you're not hungry, don't eat.  The snacking ...omg it is amazing how much we tend to snack out of HABIT!  Someone brought cake to work to share, and you go by and pick up a slice.  Jar of candy on someone's desk for anyone who comes by - how many times have you picked up a piece?  Dish of nuts on the table at a party - almost habit to just have some.  (DON'T) ...  You really notice things like that when  you're doing a fast.  Not because you're hungry at all, but just because it's HABIT for most of us to nibble.

Wrapping up -
Anyways, what I'm trying to say here is this is just a very simple introduction to what the Keto Diet is.  I heard about it and started looking into it, and decided to start out with a 30-day fast in Oct 2017.  (30 DAYS FAST?? OMG! And you didn't DIE????!!!) ...LOL yes I got a lot of comments about how I was just going to die if I didn't eat. You'd think people expected that after around 3 days I was just going to drop dead.  I never seriously felt like I was any hungrier than if I'd just missed ONE meal.  You have to get your head around the idea, and sort of be mentally prepared so you can resist the temptations to eat or snack or taste...  But you CAN do it.  And if you choose not to do the long fast, and just try the diet plan out, that's perfectly fine too, and lots of folks do that.  You'll find tons of success stories on the internet where people have worked this in a variety of ways.  Really the most important part is dropping the carbs and sugar.

Sometime soon I plan to post more on this -- some recipes I've tried, as well as some  more detailed info on the Keto plan itself and why it works.  And if you have a question you'd like to ask, Ask!  I'm no expert but I'll answer if I can or maybe try to find you some links.

-TNTease

TNTeaseTopic starter

If you're trying a Keto or Low-Carb lifestyle, believe it or not, I actually found one of those monthly subscription gift box things for Keto!  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to give it a try soon.  If you're interested, here's the link to their site:

https://www.ketodelivered.com/

Basically, you pay a monthly subscription fee (I don't think you have to sign up for a specific length of time), and each month they send you a  box of items, and some suggestions on how to use it for meals, snacks, all Keto-Friendly!

It says you can also just order it as a gift -- but the way the site is set up, it will put you on the subscription service so you have to contact them to cancel the subscription if you only want to gift one box. 

If you try this, please let me know what you think!

TNTease

Jake

Personally I prefer the Sea Food Diet

I see food then I eat it

lolz
I am so lucky to have fantastic parents who have helped me be the person I am today

TNTeaseTopic starter

You will find a lot of info on the internet regarding the Keto Diet and it's effects on Diabetes.  You will also find some conflicting information that will tell you that the Keto Diet is not so good for you in the long run, but I think this is mostly outdated information, as many studies have now been are are now being conducted on the effects of a low-carb/high-fat diet, and it seems to be looking like a healthier lifestyle, from the info I have seen.

As with all things though, do your own research, and talk to your Dr.

The following quotes and information are some things I have found regarding Diabetes and the Keto Diet that might be useful information to you.
------------------- 

The Keto Diet and Diabetes:

Diabetes -
a disease in which the body’s ability to produce or respond to the hormone insulin is impaired, resulting in abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and elevated levels of glucose in the blood and urine.

"Diabetes is a chronic condition associated with abnormally high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. Insulin produced by the pancreas lowers blood glucose. Absence or insufficient production of insulin, or an inability of the body to properly use insulin causes diabetes."

"The two types of diabetes are referred to as type 1 and type 2. Former names for these conditions were insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent diabetes, or juvenile onset and adult onset diabetes."

---

"Insulin is a hormone that helps the body control levels of blood sugar, or glucose. If blood sugar stays above normal for long periods of time, it becomes a condition called hyperglycemia that can lead to serious health problems. This is the hallmark of diabetes.

In type 1 diabetes, hyperglycemia develops because the pancreas does not make enough insulin. In type 2 diabetes, organs and tissues lose their ability to respond to insulin. The pancreas tries to compensate by making more insulin, but eventually this is not enough and leads to hyperglycemia."

---

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes-ketogenic-diet

"With the keto diet, your body converts fat, instead of sugar, into energy. The diet was created in 1924 as a treatment for epilepsy, but the effects of this eating pattern are also being studied for type 2 diabetes. The ketogenic diet may improve blood glucose (sugar) levels while also reducing the need for insulin. However, the diet does come with risks, so make sure to discuss it with your doctor before making drastic dietary changes."
-------

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317431.php

"The [Keto] diet recommends that people eat 30 grams (g) of carbohydrates or below per day.
The goal is to eat 3 to 4 g of fat for every 1 g of carbohydrate and protein."

"A ketogenic diet helps some people with type 2 diabetes because it allows the body to maintain glucose levels at a low but healthy level. The reduced amount of carbohydrates in the diet helps eliminate large spikes in blood sugar, reducing the need for insulin."

---

Some other information to consider:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-perfect-treatment-for-diabetes-and-weight-loss
[Dr. Jason Fung, a nephrologist who regularly treats diabetics]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zh5sZwodM8
Is the Diet Different Between Type 1 & 2 Diabetes?
[Dr. Berg is a big fan of the Keto Diet, but do consider that he is a Chiropractor by training.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGAV8T9xgo
Reversing Type 2 Diabetes Naturally: 3 Inexpensive Foods You Should Know About

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

Important Links

Our Network Team

IRCops:                   

HB - ChanOps Training Admin
MaTriX - Radio & DJ's Admin
TNTease - ICQ-Chat Co-Owner
Yusif  - ICQ-Chat Owner

BotOps:

Jake
Nathan

ChanOps:

Devilish
inca
SaSSyGiRL

Radio DJs:

nayfee - Radio Lead
Quirky
Chilly

Wanna get to know more about our Network Team including pictures?
Take a look here!

You are banned or need other Assisstance? Click on the Support Button.

In Memoriam

> MarkAus61
> SatmanUK
> Gandalf
> DeJaVOoo
> Blinx
> Aussie_Lady
> Maxim
> Frenchie
> Kaytee
> Manati